Mama Peabs, also known as my mother, makes the best baked breads; banana, zucchini, cranberry, etc.. but nothing can beat how amazing her lemon poppy seed bread is. It is the one thing I always ask for when I fly home for a visit. Occasionally, I’m even surprised with a loaf when she comes to visit me here! I rave about this bread to all my friends, telling them that even though they say they don’t like things lemon, they will love this bread. So, earlier today a few of us got together for a little brunch and I decided it would be the time to prove that this bread really is the best! Mission accomplished! Everyone loved the bread, going back for seconds and maybe thirds. I’m already looking forward to calling Mama Peabs up later tonight and letting her know that her bread now has even more fans. Maybe I can convince her to ship a box full of lemon poppy seed bread to the ballet… I’ll work on that.
Mama Peabs’ Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two large loaf pans or 8 mini loaf pans.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric beater for 2 minutes. Pour into pans and bake for 1 hour or until knife inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
3. While still warm, prick all over with a small knife or toothpick. Pour glaze on top and let cool completely.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. each almond extract, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil